LONG BLOG LONG DAY!
Well, here it is my first post!Like most of you, I thought this day would never come, but I am actually in the air so I guess it is here.My flight to Frankfurt, Germany wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.It was roughly 8 hours, but I read a book, Nights of Rodanthe, and listened to music.I would have watched the in flight movie but the flight attendant announced the movie in what I am guessing was German, so needless to say I didn't understand the announcement and didn't notice the movie was on until half way through.The flight was peaceful besides the screaming of the baby behind me for the first hour and half, and the couple next to me who definitely had too much FREE wine (but can you blame them!).I sat next to an older woman from Istanbul, who was really nice and gave me her number if I had any questions or problems.There was an in-flight meal and I got some weird looking turkey and some side dishes that I can still taste; yet I still can't name.
I just landed in Frankfurt (2:50am East Coast Time), which turned out to be a hassle.My bags did not get transferred to my Istanbul flight so I had to find my way to baggage claim, check them again, go back through security, and find my gate.I was so confused!I turned around in circles for about 30 minutes!I'm tired already and I have two more flights!Hopefully they are short!
I am now in Istanbul! I cant really tell you much about the flight because I slept the whole entire time.There was an old Turkish lady who sat next to me who woke me up every time the food or drink cart would go by!Istanbul is cold, but it looked very pretty.The highlight thus far is that I missed my connecting flight to Adana.I don't know who booked the flight but there was no possible way I could get off the plane, get my visa, go through a passport check, security and still catch my flight!First, I reacted like Shyril Beck and started cussing, then I wanted to act like Robin Beck and start crying, but I figured at 23 that would not be ok.I was mainly worried about my bags.So, now I am sitting at a new gate once again turning around in circles because I have no idea what time it is, nor what time my new flight leaves.Fun!
Well, of course I waited for the next flight for 2 hours and then the flight got delayed!I arrived in Adana, and once again I slept the whole time.My bags were still there when I got to baggage claim, which was a major relief, but I had no idea how I was supposed to get where I was going.I went outside and a man ran up to me and in a joking manner yelled Where are you!(of course meaning where have you been).The trainer, assistant coach, and the team bus driver picked me up.They are all nice, but their English�isn't great, and my Turkish is non existent (by the way Robin Turkish doesn't sound like you think, its not harsh like German, so you need to work on your imitation). They asked me if I was hungry, I said no I just wanted to sleep, they said ok and 5minutes later we arrived at a Pizza place!Here is a sample of my first Turkish/English dialogue:
Coach:Hungry
Me:No I'm ok
Coach:you eat!
Me:ok ill have pizza
Coach:toast?
Me:pizza
Coach:oooo pizza with chicken?
Me:no just cheese
Coach:No cheese
Me:Cheese
Coach:Chicken?
Me:no chicken just cheese
Coach:Lots of chicken?
Me:cheese
Coach:o ok cheese
Waiter:Chicken?
You get the idea!Somehow the order came up right, the pizza was good and now I am headed to Ceyhan to go to SLEEP!Long blog for a long day!
Good deal! Im going to print these out and take them to granny and make a scrapbook out of them as well. We will be looking forward to the next episode of "Kim's Overseas Adventures"!
ReplyDeleteextremely interesting! cant wait to hear about your journey! remember...this is a great learning experience for you....get out there and explore...go see some history (remember at least once a month is experience something new day!)...meet great people....and have fun!! Take plenty of pictures and bring back amazing turkish rugs!!
ReplyDelete<3
p.s...keep recording these humorous convos where you struggle to communicate! i love them!
They just assumed you wanted chicken? Turkish ppl buy into way to many stereotypes...
ReplyDeletedahaha. o cuzin. see im up at 3:30am commenting on your blog because i dont want u picthing a fit. you lucky im a night owl so feel free to call ur cuzin at any time b4 430 am. more than likely im awake. the convo section was great. im loving this already!
ReplyDeleteOverall, pretty good grammar. A-.
ReplyDelete